Did you know that only 8% of people reach their goals? That’s right! The other 92 % fail within weeks or months. According to researchers, one of the main differentiators who are successful, comes down to one simple thing: setting specific and challenging goals. Naturally, there are several other factors to goal achievement, but for now, let’s focus only on the most important point.
However, this doesn’t mean you should try to do everything at once. In fact, trying to reach the stars is often a recipe for failure. If you want to go big, you have to think “small”. Break big goals into smaller goals and start from there.
When you are procrastinating or having problems gaining clarity of the end goal you want to achieve, many psychologists use the method below to help their patients make difficult decisions. It’s also perfect for setting your own goals. Answer these 5 simple questions:
- What do I want to get?
- How am I going to get it?
- When am I going to get it?
- What can help me get it?
- What will happen when I reach the goal?
What’s Wrong with “Thinking Big?”
We keep hearing that we can accomplish anything we want, whether it’s saving the world or becoming an astronaut. Unfortunately, that’s unlikely to happen. Sure, you could do it, but it will take years of hard work. For this reason, it’s so important to take small steps toward your goals.
The truth is, what you need to do is to think big in detail. It’s necessary to have detailed information, plans, knowledge, and skills for your big goals to become a reality. That won’t happen overnight.
A big idea doesn’t guarantee success. Anyone can have ideas, but only a few can bring them to life. When thinking big, it’s easier to miss the small details and make costly mistakes. If you fail, you’ll feel disappointed and have a hard time starting all over.
For example, many people dream of building a million-dollar business. However, they haven’t yet learned how to make even $1. To succeed, think big in increments. Focus on making your first dollar, then your first $100, then $1,000, and so on.
Change Your Habits to Change Your Life
Whether you want to become the next Steve Jobs, launch a successful project, or climb up the career ladder, you need to start with baby steps. Swap any habits that hold you back for habits that move you forward.
Let’s say you always find excuses to skip your workout. By doing that you’ll never manage to lose those extra pounds and get in shape.
Commit yourself to hit the gym at least three times a week. Take it seriously just like you do with your job or family time. A month later, schedule four workouts a week.
In the meantime, make small changes to your diet. Do one thing at a time. For instance, you could ditch the sugar during week one, cut back on junk food the second week, cook your meals from fresh ingredients the third week, and so on.
Think small to go big, and the results will follow!